Fixed Deposits

Can I withdraw my fixed deposit any time during my stay in Malaysia?
Some banks allow periodical withdrawals of interest earned on your Fixed Deposit. This is subject to the bank's policy and negotiation at the time of opening your account with the bank concerned. Please refer to banking portal for current rates and terms.

Can I place the fixed deposit in a Malaysian bank located in my country?
No. The fixed deposit account must be opened in any Malaysian bank or financial institution located in Malaysia.

Can the purchase of a house in Malaysia which is valued at more than RM500,000.00 be considered as having fulfilled the financial criteria for this programme?
No. Participants are required to fulfill the fixed deposit requirement or monthly off-shore income for those aged 50 years and above.

Am I allowed to withdraw my fixed deposit for a few months and then topped it back later?
No. Participants are required to place their fixed deposits on annual auto renewal basis.

When can I withdraw my fixed deposit?
After a period of one year, the participant may withdraw his/her fixed deposit for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes OR when he/she decides to terminate his/her stay in Malaysia by first informing the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia of his/her intention at Malaysia My Second Home Centre. Participants can apply to withdraw part of their fixed deposit for emergency cases such as medical purposes, etc. with prior approval of the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia.

Can I transfer my Fixed Deposit Account tagged under MM2H Programme from one bank to another?
No. MM2H participants are not allowed to transfer Fixed Deposit Account tagged under MM2H Programme.


Do kindergarten level child need a Student Visa to attend kindergarten here?
Children below the school going age (that is 7 years old) are not required to apply for a Student Visa. They need only to apply for permission to study at Immigration Department.

If my children are already married and want to study in Malaysia with their husband, do they need to pay the fixed deposit?
Not necessary. They can apply for a Student Visa once they have obtained places of study in Malaysia.

House Purchase

Do the participants have any special entitlements?
All participants are allowed to purchase residential properties at the minimum purchase price for foreigners established by the respective state governments. The current minimum price (March 2014) is RM500,000.00 for most states.

Can I purchase a house for residential purpose and a shop lot to be rented out?
No, you are only allowed to purchase residential properties.

Do I have to pay the yearly assessment and quit rent for my houses like the locals?

In the event of unforeseen death is the participant able to hand over his Malaysian assets to any of his beneficiaries smoothly. Does the Government have any restriction on this matter?
No.  Participants may transfer their property to their next-of-kin provided they have made a will to this effect.   In the event of lack of documentation, the next-of-kin may claim the inheritance upon proof of identity and kinship.

Must foreigners buy new Malaysia property only, such as from developers, or can they purchase any property, such as from individual owners (second hand or third hand property)?
Participants can purchase any type of housing properties provided that they have been issued with CF (Certificate of Fitness).

Can I keep pets in my condominium?
The By-laws of the Strata Title Act state that a parcel proprietor is not allowed to keep any animal in his parcel or on the common property which may cause annoyance to any other proprietor.

Car Purchase

Is a participant who buys a second-hand local car eligible for tax exemptions?
Second hand cars are transacted on a willing buyer, willing seller basis and the government does not levy any sales tax and excise duty on such transactions. As such tax exemptions do not arise.

If I had a car accident and as a result I need to change the car, do I have to pay back the tax exemptions?
Given the following situations:
i. If the car is repaired and sold it will be subject to the applicable tax/duty according to the prevailing rates.
ii. If car is written off, taxes will be waived.
iii. If the participant wishes to buy another car, their application will be processed on the merit of each case. Under normal circumstances a participant of this program is allowed tax exemption for a car on a one time basis.

When can I sell the car, which has been given all the tax exemptions?
Cars that have been exempted from taxes and duties under this program can be sold or its ownership transferred provided the prevailing taxes and duties on the car have been paid prior to the transaction. However, for imported cars the condition stipulated in the AP should be complied before any sale or transfer can be permitted.

May I know whether I can import a high performance car into Malaysia?
Yes, and the imported car must be owned by the MM2H participant more than 6 month from the MM2H visa date given. Application for this tax exemption must be made through Sistem Maklumat Pengurusan Cukai (SMPC) / Tax Management Information System online within six (6) months starting from visa issuing date. Please take note that exemption on duty/tax is only given for import duty and excise duty. Applicant still needs to bear the Goods and Service Tax (GST) cost.

I mostly reside in Hong Kong but also own a house in the United Kingdom. I intend to import my high performance car from the United Kingdom. Will I be allowed to bring in the said car?
Yes, but you are subject to above conditions.

If I want to sell it after two (2) years, will the exemption of duties and taxes still apply? If duties and taxes are still incurred, which party is liable to pay the said duties and taxes - the participant or the interested purchaser?
No, purchaser of the exempted car still needs to pay the relevant duty/tax to Royal Malaysian Customs Department although the car is going to be sold after two (2) years. Prior to selling the car, MM2H applicant still needs to get approval from Ministry Of Finance first.

Should I wish to sell the car, am I subject to the repayment of import duty, excise duty and sale tax according to the prevailing rates?
MM2H participants need to make repayment of taxes according to evaluation made by Royal Malaysian Customs Department before they can sell their cars. All taxes must be cleared before new ownership of the cars can be made.


Is MM2H participant allowed to do business in Malaysia?
No. The MM2H Pass is a Social Visit Pass and allows MM2H participant to long-stay in Malaysia. If MM2H participant intends to do business, he/she would need to terminate the MM2H Pass.