When is the best time to visit Malaysia?
- If you're headed to the west coast, the lowlands or the highlands, November to March offers the perfect pairing of dry weather and off-peak prices.
- If you're headed to the east coast, travel between April and September to steer clear of bad weather.
- If you're travelling on a budget, the cheapest times to visit Malaysia is March, May and August when children are in school.
Malaysia has consistent hot and humid weather year round. The west coast experiences its wet season from April to October, but thundershowers are usually only brief and provide a relief from the humidity. The east coast’s rainy season is from November to February and has heavier rainfall than the west coast. Most beaches and accommodation are closed during this period but reopen in March.
Temperatures are consistent all year round ranging from 21ºC to 32ºC at sea level. In the highlands, it is cooler with temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C. The shoulder season months of November and March are ideal for travel deals and smaller crowds.
Best time to visit Malaysia for...
- Sightseeing. November to March is best for sightseeing since this is the time when you’re most likely to catch the least amount of rain. In Kuala Lumpur, you can visit the Petronas Twin Towers as well as the nearby Batu Caves.
- Beaches. You can enjoy the beach anytime of the year, but you can expect rain showers daily. The best time to visit the beaches on the east coast is from March to September since it is typically drier than the rest of Malaysia during this time. For the west coast, visit from November to August as the heaviest showers are from September to October.
- Snorkelling and diving. The majority of the best dive and snorkelling spots are located on the eastern peninsula making the best time of year to visit between April and September. Monsoon season hits from October to March, making the water murky and visibility unclear. Some of the best islands to visit are Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai, Lankayan, Layang-Layang, Mataking, Pom, and Sibuan. For diving and snorkelling on the west coast, you should plan a visit between November and August.
- Honeymoon. Honeymoons are ideal at resorts on the east coast. March to mid-May and September will give you the best weather, lower prices and less crowds with minimal rain.